I have not made anything from the magazine yet, but that's next. Have tracing paper, will trace. Stay tuned.
Fabric is 100% cotton Ikat woven stripe. Ikat is super hot right now. Mine is very light shirting weight, so I lined it with a 100% cotton lawn in olive color. Both fabrics purchased from the wonderful Josephine's Dry Goods in Portland, OR.
Since this was my first time making a Burda pattern, and the first fitted woven in many moons, I made a muslin. Also, there was no pattern review yet for this style so I didn't want to risk it. Now there is!
I constructed the front and back bodice and skirt and then connected them at the waist, as the instructions. Then I also constructed all the same pieces out of the lining material, sewing them right sides together with the body fabric at the armhole and then turning the lining to the inside creating a clean finished armhole. This way I eliminated the facing (hate facings).
Amanda, that seam binding makes the a garment look finished and polished. She has some fantastic tutorials, and finishes everything beautifully. My mother used to say "a garment should look as beautiful on the inside as it does on the outside." Advice that I summarily ignored till I was in school and I was graded on it. Also, I realized that this fabric will probably fray a bit with washing as my other ikat project did when I pre-washed and lost about 1" to fraying. So I used bias tape on the seam where I applied the zipper.
I finished the hem using 2" wide poly lace. I didn't mean to get such a wide lace and then when I sewed it in it looked super cute, but itched the back of my legs like crazy when I sat down. So I need to take it out and do somethings else.
The fit of this garment was great in the chest and neck and bust. The mid bodice waist needed a little more fitting/shaping so it wasn't a "shapeless"shift. I didn't go back in and adjust those seams as I didn't want to change the shape of the side bodice and skirt pieces. After seeing pics of me in it, I wish I did, but I've other Burda to conquer.
I know that with some drafting I could have adjusted the center and created more shape but ultimately I was looking for kind of a shift. Also, it pulled a little at the hips in the muslin, so I sewed the side and cb seams with 1/2" seam allowance i/o 5/8". I also shortened the skirt 5" so it was just above the knee. This is a great kicking around doing errands when it's 80 degrees, or meeting friends for lunch dress.
The other advice I have on this garment is that finishing the neck band so that it's even is not easy. Mine looks a little wonky on one side but I think I might be the only one that can tell. I would probably use a template constructed out of heavy paper to press it so that it's even all the way around.
Edit... added photo
|Here it is: a photo of me in the dress. I won't wear those shoes now that I see them.|