Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Summertime Stars Quilt

I really enjoyed the quilt making.  And now I'm ready to make a quilt for my house.  For some reason I've been obsessed with making something stars and stripes for the 4th of July.  Since everything at Hollyhill Quilt Shoppe is BEAUTIFUL, I like to go there often to admire the quilts.  There's something so comforting about a stack of warm quilts.  I've always wanted that in my house like a Shabby Chic commercial.  I bought one at an antique shop for way too much money.  Time to figure out how to make my own.

I recently got up the nerve to buy a kit. But, it's a Christmas quilt and that's so far away.  I thought I would go for the 4th of July first.  And I've been loving the picture of a star quilt I've seen at HH.  You can find it on their blog Boughs of Holly.  You can see it in the background! I love the plaid and other prints layered in- very Ralph Lauren.

Summertime Stars Quilt Pattern
Last time I was there, I asked one of the ladies if they were making a kit for the stars quilt.  And, alas, the answer was currently, NO.  However, she found the pattern for me and showed me how cool the cutting instructions were and how easy and fast to piece that is would be. She said she made it and it was super easy. BINGO!  My second quilt.
 So, last night I used some extra fabric that I had- two quarters from JoAnne's.  And you cut them in a stack and end up with stars and backgrounds like this.  It was really easy and it doesn't have to be perfect and it looks super cute.    Later you have to make all the squares square but this was just practice.
Good thing, practice, because I slashed through one edge that I wasn't supposed to and it caused more sewing and a weird wonky issue.  But overall, I figured out I could do one block in about 10 minutes.  Sewing only.   And since there are 30 blocks that wouldn't be too crazy piece time.

I'm going to HH to pick up a cute fat Quarter bundle (yep, got the lingo down) this weekend.  Well, I might hand pick all the colors instead of a bundle.   yay.  Meanwhile, I'm setting up my new serger but it's hard to focus while I can hear the puppy tearing up the house.  Off to puppy wrangle....



Parting shot..... Mochi asking for tummy rub.  Ok, that's an old photo but he still does that all the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment